Skip to main content

I think we all get micro-focused on building what we want and spend all of our time in that bubble. While this is the right line of thinking to get things done, we can sometimes forget that our biggest asset is our neighbors.

What do I mean by neighbors?

That depends on your industry and space.

For me, that’s the marketing space for business. My neighbors, in this case, are other marketers and business owners.

You might get the business owners part, but not so much get why I like to know other marketers.

Here’s the deal with that, I am not a pro at everything in the marketing world. I understand most ideologies in the marketing field, but I am not personally the master of many of them. So, I tend to befriend any marketer I meet because that mutual connection might be the difference between making or breaking a deal.

“Sure, I have someone in mind that can handle that part of things. I will organize all of that and get it done for you.”

I can’t say this if I haven’t made those relationships.

Now for business owners, I don’t look at them as a commodity to be sold to. This is why the term “neighbor” is so important here. I truly want to get to know what drives them, how they operate, and help them in any way possible along the way.

99% of that time it’s completely free advice. The other 1% is because they reach out to me for a quote on a project.

My neighbor might ask what tool they need to change the alternator in their Jeep. I’d gladly steer them in the right direction and let them borrow any tools that I may have. One day that same neighbor may say, “Hey, I need to change the starter, I’m not sure I can. How much would you want to do it?”

It’s the same theory.

Heck, I’m just launching this new brand and I have 2 ads running on Facebook. Only one leads to my site (an informative article with no pitch), and the other is just a motivational quote attached to a screenshot of a Tweet I made. I’m boosting this very article today. I’m doing this in my area to a targeted group so I can begin to make those connections.

My business model here is two-fold. I, on one hand, handle the marketing for national companies. On the other, I want to use all of the tools in my arsenal to help local businesses in a way that only works if I am on the ground with them.

In this, next week, I start going around to local businesses directly. Just to get to know them, offer them advice, and leave them with some strategies to get rolling with.

In the end, I think making neighborly friends is far more important to my brand than any determined cash ROI. I believe offering positivity will bring it back to me, and it will be a gift when it does. I expect nothing from my neighbor, but I am here to help them in any way I can.

Get to know yours.

Be genuine.

It will work out for all involved.

Leave a Reply